Sunday, June 22, 2008

the lovely cupcake

Today is the day to make cupcake!

Everywhere in US is about cupcake. You can see cupcakes in every occasion, every birthday party, every bbq, every tea time with your girl friends...my point is, I stay in US for so long already but never made any cupcake lo, so malu kan? Back in Bemidji, my room mate can make cupcake and get everything ready in 30 min. =_+ So today I want to try out la.

Oh wait, I wanted to try to make a video while I am baking, but don't think anyone wants to listen to my kiddy voice. =_+


Recipe of vanilla cupcake (for 12 of them)
1/2 stick butter
3/4 cups sugar
1 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp vanilla exract
2 large egg whites

The things that you will neeeeeed.
So, the steps are:

Firstly, soften butter in the mixer on high speed. Then, dizzle the sugar in with the buttter and beat until light and fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder and the salt together. Measure milk and vanilla. Afyer that add the flour mixture to the butter & sugar mixture. Beat well and set aside incoporated mixture.

In a clean mixer bowl (to me I use the rice cooker bowl. haha), beat egg whtes until soft peaks form. It will looks like something like that la.

Then, fold egg whites into cake better until incorporated. After that scoop batter into the prepared cupcake pans. I don't know why I forgot to take the picture. =_+

Then, bake in the 350 degree (F) oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Easy?

Ok. Now, the frosting part.

For the frosting, I chose to make Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting. The ingredients are as below:

1/2 stick butter
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1.2 tsp mixed citrus zest (I use lemon extract)
1 tsp citrus juice (I use Orange Juice!)
2 cups icing sugar
a few drops of red food coloring (to make it pink!)

So, the steps:

Firstly, soften butter in the mixer on high speed. Next, add creame cheese and beat until combined. Then sift icing sugar (confectioner sugar). Add about half of the icing sugar and citrus juice and zest to the butter/creame cheese mixture and beat on high speed to combine. Next, add remaining icing sugar in stages until desired consistency and sweetness is achieved (I used about 1 & 1/2 cups of icing sugar). Lastly, add in red coloring and mix until consistent color is achieved.

It should be ended up like this!

The cupcakes fresh from the oven!

The first one. Looks damn ugly!!

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th and so on did not look very good either. =_+

BUT!!! First timer not bad already hor???

It tastes good you know!!

I will make more tomorrow!! I am very sure they will look better! Heee!!

4 comments:

Martha said...

beautiful! they look yummy!

Jin said...

wahh.. ming jie zhu lai zhu gao chu jiak liao hor! kai ku bo jiak lu chu eh ming kia liao..

(wah.. sister ming is getting better & better at cooking (or baking in this sense)! so long never tasted your cooking already..)

Jin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ming said...

Martha: Thanks! its yummy! =p

Jin: hahaha...you made the translation by urself. u r funny!! you can cook too Jin.. the sambal from Alor Setar! OMG!!