Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Rojak

forgive me for the randomness.

I have been reading a lot of journals lately. It's all the topics surrounding on multiculturalism & globalization from the psychology point of view. Culture is always an interesting topic to study. I love culture so much to the extend that I stay in Open Borders (where you live with people from everywhere), and also I put 'culture' under the 'interest' section in my resume.

I love everyone no matter where are you from, what color are you, what kinda food you eat, and etc. Over the years, I try not to be racist, not to stereotype, not to discriminate as much as I can. Well, I know sometimes you just can't avoid to be discriminative. I am lucky that the place where I am staying right now, people are not that racist. During the Summer when I was working in North Carolina, people there are famous for their Southern Hospitality, they are even more friendly than Penang people. I am lucky again.

People here categorized us as Asian people. Every time when they talk, we are referred as their favorite Asian people. So, are we really that likable by everyone? Apparently not.

So my friend told me this story when I was back from the Summer. My friends wanted to go Minneapolis (A city that 4 hours away from us), but one of them supposed to work and he had to find someone to replace him. All of my friends are Malaysians. One of them approached this American guy (Sorry I have to name everyone according to their nationality to avoid confusion), so my friend said to him "Can you replace xxx at this time at the dining hall, please.." This American guy did not say anything but his friend who stood beside him (an American guy also) responded to my friend that "why not you just go and ask other Malaysians or Nepalis to replace you, since they love to work, and they work all the time.." My friend said this guy has zero culture sensitivity. To me, I think he is super culture sensitive, considering he knows Malaysians and Nepalis so well.

The other day I got to know that one of my friend (an American guy) just got married. Apparently we have issue with this guy as he is so flirtatious and what I hate about him is, he lies all the time. He lies without blinking his eyes, and too bad we know it's all lies even he wanna cover it nicely. So he messaged me quite a lot of times in MSN after his wedding. I have no problem with that but I hate it so much when he has to lie for all kind of nonsense. So I was kinda frustrated and said this to him "you stop freaking lying around and go get yourself a job and treat your wife good". Well, you can say that I was busy body or whatever, or you can say that whether he wanna be loyal to his wife or what he wanna do in his life is problem, but I just can't stand it ok. As much as I am frustrated with him, he was annoyed by what I said to him too. At last he said this to me "You Asian people, especially you Malaysian, what the hack are you doing in my country, pack your bag and go back to your poor country" I did not exaggerate, not even a bit. Obviously I was upset about it.

During our hall meeting, they announced that this Nepalis guy is not allowed to come to our floor anymore. They complained about him that he came to our floor and used some of the people's computer without permission. Yup, it's his fault that he did not ask permission. But I don't think that it's so serious that if we ever seen him on our floor again, we are allowed to call security officer. Eh Come on la! It's not that he sexually harass the girls here or what, he should at least be given a chance to get a warning first or what. =_=

I still remember when I was staying in Damansara Heights, one of this Vietnamese girl was so upset that she had to move out from the apartment as her house mates signed a petition to ask her to leave the house as she has some skin problems. Because of this her friend (another Vietnamese) also had to move out even she doesn't have any skin problems. People can be so cruel sometimes. Sad right?

Another incident happened in the same apartment. There was one night we were making loud noises, the neighbor on top of our floor came down and scolded us. Without surveying the whole situation, the neighbor went and knocked on the Vietnamese door, and scolded the poor guys who were actually doing assignment. Life can be so unfair sometimes. After I moved out from the apartment what I heard was Vietnamese and Chinese (from China) apparently not allowed to stay in that apartment anymore. sigh.

Can you imagine how beautiful this world gonna be if everyone can learn to tolerate with one another a little bit more? If everyone with different colors of skin able to love each other more, that will be great, as our lives will be as pretty as rainbow, so colorful.

It's 4 am in the morning, obviously I am crapping.

(:

No comments: